You can’t hurry code, no you just have to wait

Last week I noticed a horrible deficiency in some code I’d written. It was behaving completely contrary to the documentation. (Yes, I’m the kind of person who not only writes documentation, but considers the documentation as part of the specification for the code, rather than vice versa…)

At first glance it looked like I’d have to change the API, rip out the guts of the code, and do some major rewriting. I decided to leave it overnight, though.

On Friday I came back to the problem and looked at the code again. I suddenly realized it could be fixed—and the fix was a one-line change. Sixteen characters.