Warp Records’ BLEEP store is. Let’s count the things they’ve done right:
- Browse and preview all the tracks.
- All the tracks are LAME encoded MP3.
- They’re VBR files encoded using –alt-preset standard for truly CD-like quality.
- There’s no stupid DRM, so you can burn CDs, put the files on your iPod, and so on.
- They take PayPal for payment as well as credit cards, and the system detects PayPal payment almost immediately and takes you straight to the downloads without you having to wait for an e-mail.
- They have most of their back-catalog, including all those rare vinyl-only releases.
- The download process will automatically zip up all the files for you and send you a single .zip of your purchases.
- As you shop, there’s a calculated download time based on your specified Internet speed.
- The packaged files are all sorted into folders based on original release.
- Full ID3 tags for everything, including the cover art.
It just craps all over the iTunes music store. The only thing not to love is that you need Flash to use their site.
Now if Mute can do the same thing, I might never need to buy another CD.