My web hosting provider exploded. The company who supposedly bought their customer lists has failed to get things going after a week or two. So, I need a new web host.
- Linux or UNIX based
- SSH access and rsync for uploading my site
- Low monthly fees
- No price gouging for extra bandwidth
- Low or zero setup fee
- One domain, at least 3 subdomains
- At least 2 POP3/IMAP mailboxes
- A reasonable amount of space (50 MB or more)
- Usenet/NNTP access and server
- Jabber server
- Logs and stats
- Search engine support for sites
I don’t need PHP, JSP, ASP, SSI, SQL, CGI, … Just static web pages, cheap. Also:
- I don’t need DNS hosting or domain registration, just the servers to point my existing domain at and a working MX or two.
- High uptime isn’t all that important; the odd day or so of downtime is fine.
- Phone support isn’t important.
- Technical hand-holding won’t be needed, obviously.
- WebIntellects (attraction: unmetered bandwidth)
- DreamHost (attraction: Samba, WebDAV, streaming QuickTime)
- 123CheapHosting (attraction: cheap)
- Micfo.com (generous allocations yet cheap)
Frankly, I’d be tempted to do it myself if we weren’t planning on moving in the near future…