U.S. Army soldiers in Iraq filmed themselves kicking a gravely wounded prisoner in the face and making the arm of a corpse appear to wave, then titled the effort “Ramadi Madness” after the city where it was made.
The video, made public on Monday, was shot by Florida National Guard soldiers. They edited and compiled it into a DVD in January 2004, with various sections bearing titles such as “Those Crafty Little Bastards” and “Another Day, Another Mission, Another Scumbag.”
Documents showed that the Army deemed the actions shown on the video “inappropriate” rather than criminal.
“It didn’t rise to the level of criminal abuse, according to the investigations,” said Lt. Col. Jeremy Martin, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon. “Clearly, the soldiers probably exercised poor judgment … and I’m sure that they were admonished by their command for their actions.”
I can just see Apple’s sales pitch…
iMovie makes it easy to work with the footage of your latest atrocities.
- Connect your camera and let Magic iMovie do the rest.
- Take on more systemic patterns of abuse thanks to major performance gains.
- Blur out the faces of perpetrators and emphasize the action with special effects.
- The new “US Atrocity” theme automatically adds thumbnail buttons to the DVD menu. Click on an Iraqi to see his face being kicked in!
- Use the library of sound effects to add audience applause.