Faced with jobs that needed to be cut and insufficient volunteers, Aer Lingus apparently had a brainstorming session and put together a memo full of ideas on how to encourage employees to resign. Ideas included:
- Make employees wear nasty uniforms of jump suits and T-shirts.
- Send staff on long, tedious training courses.
- Tap people on the shoulder and casually suggest to them that they don’t really have a future with the company.
- Assign people to work awkward shifts.
- Put emphasis on attendance and clock-punching.
- Relocate everyone at head office to a different location.