I’m looking for a USB and MIDI interface, because M-Audio haven’t bothered to update the drivers for the one I have, so it doesn’t work with any current OSs.
- At least 1 audio in and 1 audio out.
- At least 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out.
- Standard audio jacks (not just XLR).
- Must be compatible with USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices.
- Must be compatible with USB Device Class Definition for Audio Devices, specifically USB Audio Class 2 or higher.
Requirements 4 & 5 mean NO ADDITIONAL DRIVERS, aka “class compliant”. It must be fully functional with bare OS X or Linux, standard USB drivers, and nothing else. I’ve been screwed once, I’m not gonna get screwed again.
Additional “would be nice” pluses:
- Basic mixing capability via a couple of analog gain controls on the audio in/out.
- Additional Core Audio/Core MIDI support (but must not be required).
- Bus powered.
- Support for >44.1khz >16bit audio.
- Not from M-Audio, for obvious reasons.
Other than that, obviously sound quality and low latency are the main requirements.