set this to the the subject of the top livejournal posting

I decided I could now face the SF movie footage. I started importing it… but there was a snag. I’d used a wireless mono mic with the camcorder. Unfortunately, even when the camcorder is set to play mono audio, iMovie imports as stereo—so I get a bunch of movie files with sound in the left channel only. I thought about this for a while, and experimented with QuickTime Pro until I found a sequence of actions that would achieve a conversion: Open the movie, extract the audio track to a second movie, export that to mono AIFF, go back to the movie and remove the audio track, add the mono AIFF file prepared earlier, export the movie to a DV stream, and then trash the AIFF file.